Friday, January 27, 2012

Janurary 26th Practice

It is another lovely evening here in Homestead. I am here waiting for choir rehearsal to start. The general consensus is that the movie Red Tails is great. I have not watched it yet. I am sure I will go and see it since it is a WWII flick. Also Cuba Gooding Jr. is in it and I have gone to see every movie he has been in for the last ten years. Everyone also likes the movie Joyful Noise.

I am personally having a lot of trouble with transitions in the music. I also have trouble going from a high note and dropping to a low note. For what ever reason I do not have as much trouble with the reverse.

On a not so musical front we talk again about rehearsing before we sing on Sundays. This could only help. The only rub is that we do not have a proper choir room. I am still a bit sketchy on the polity of Second Baptist. So I am not sure if it is in the prevue of the President of Trinity Choir to push for this. I would like to see it happen. It would help us as a group. Sadly I simply do not understand the politics of this church. I would prefer not to annoy people. Still, we were given permission to use a room last Spring and it has not come together. I will be talking to a few people and I will let you know what I decide to do.

Once again at practice Minister Burwell was too polite to single me out as the person that is dragging down the Tenor Section. I understand that he is trying to get the various sections to work together. Sadly I do not think that I have the ear to ever get to that point. Once I understand what I should be doing I can usually belt out my part the same way every time, for the most part. At the moment I am chalking it up to a mystery of Gospel Music that I cannot understand yet.

On the up side of being bad my fellow tenors are usually willing to throw me under the bus if I do something wrong. This is done with great humor and love so it is always welcome. Also I occasionally scare one of the Sopranos if I am way off the mark. From years of singing on kettle I have a tendency to sing louder than Mick Jagger with an amp. I am working on this as well.

On an entry that recounts a practice for Trinity I will be adding what songs we are working on. If I can find a video of someone else doing the finished product I will include that as well.

I have also typed up most the lyrics to the songs that we are singing. If I can figure out how to make those available I will put them up as well.


Songs We are Working on for the first Sunday in February:

God is My Everything


It’s Time to Celebrate and Rejoice

No comments:

Post a Comment